Laundry detergent is expensive! It’s also full of all sorts of chemicals and other artificial ingredients. If you’re looking for an easy, inexpensive, all-natural alternative, you’ve come to the right place! This recipe is also safe for HE machines.
- 1/2 cup *Dri-Pak pure soap flakes
- 1 cup Borax (find it by the laundry stain removers at Walmart)
- 1 cup washing soda (find it by the laundry stain removers at Walmart)
- 30 drops Purify (doTERRA essential oil proprietary blend)
- Add all ingredients to a one-quart glass jar (or other airtight container), and shake to mix.
Many people suggest using 2-3 tbsp. per load. Since we have an HE machine AND a water softener, I’ve found 1/2 tbsp is plenty! In fact, I tried a full tbsp. with a larger load, and I had to run an extra rinse because it was still sudsy. I would recommend starting with less and adding more if necessary.
One concern many people have is soap residue left in the machine from the use of the soap flakes. I use white vinegar with Purify essential oil blend as a softener (one quart distilled white vinegar with 20 drops essential oil; shake well before each use), and I don’t have any problems with soap scum! Oh, and that same vinegar/essential oil combination is awesome for stain and odor removal!
*Alternatively, you can use one grated bar of castile soap. Using the bar soap is a bit cheaper, but it’s a fair amount of work to grate the bar. Also, if you don’t get it grated finely, it won’t dissolve well in the wash.
- This recipe = 6 cents per load
- Tide HE at Walmart = 19 cents per load