If you’re anything like us, your dogs are your kids, and you want to give them the best. While you can absolutely find some great store-bought treats, sometimes it’s nice to make them yourself. By making them, you can control the ingredients, and they tend to be cheaper!
Many of my homemade dog treats include coconut oil and turmeric. Coconut oil is fantastic for dogs on so many levels. It’s great for the skin and coat, which means it helps alleviate dry skin, shedding, and cracked pads. It’s also great for the hips and joints, helping to lubricate joints and ultimately making movement a bit easier. Turmeric is an optional ingredient, but I always include it because it also is great for the skin, coat, hips, and joints.
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (or mashed cooked sweet potato)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric (optional)
- 6 tbsp coconut flour
- Pinch sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt coconut oil in the microwave, approx. 1.5 minutes.
- Add pumpkin, eggs, applesauce, coconut oil, and turmeric to a food processor and mix.
- Gradually add coconut flour to the processor and mix.
- Transfer mixture to papered pan, and spread out to approx. 1/4 inch thickness (I just use my hands for this). Try to keep the edges as smooth as possible.
- Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven, and cut into bite-size pieces using a pizza cutter.
- Return pan to oven and bake an additional 18-20 minutes, or until edges begin to brown slightly.
- Allow to cool on the pan before transferring to a storage container.
- Store in an airtight container (for extra shelf life, store in the refrigerator).