I have something called de Quervain’s tenosynovitis, also known as mommy’s thumb. It’s often referred to as mommy’s thumb because it’s common among (new) moms especially. Essentially, the tendons from the thumb through the wrist become inflamed, resulting in anything from mild discomfort to severe pain on the thumb side of the wrist. Why mommy’s thumb? When new moms continually pick up their kids (especially the older, heavier ones), excessive wear occurs on that tendon. Unfortunately for me and many others, we don’t always pick up correctly, and that causes this inflammation.
The best way to treat it is to work on lifting not with the wrists but with the legs. Sounds simple enough, right? It is – when you consciously think about it. If you’re like me, though (and especially if you’re short like me!), you forget, and reaching down into the crib to pick up your toddler makes it difficult to lift with your legs.
In any case, I’ve developed this tendinitis. I’ve worked quite a bit with my chiropractor, and that has definitely helped, so I highly recommend it! I also put together this cream that you can rub into the area (works great for any aches or pains) to help ease the pain. doTERRA’s Deep Blue and frankincense are wonderful anti-inflammatory oils. Additionally, frankincense has a warming effect while Deep Blue has a cooling effect (think Icy Hot!). Just rub the cream into the affected areas as needed throughout the day. Click the ingredients
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 coconut oil
- 2 tbsp beeswax
- 15 drops Deep Blue essential oil blend
- 5 drops frankincense essential oil
- Melt olive oil, coconut oil, and beeswax in microwave, approx. 2 minutes. (I like to use glass Pyrex measuring cups; that way I can easily pour into jars for storage.)
- Whisk in essential oils.
- Pour into wide-mouth pint jar.
- Allow to cool fully before capping. (Cream will set as it cools.)
- Store in a cool, dry place.
- This recipe = 94 cents per ounce
- Icy Hot at Walmart = $1.65 per ounce