Wow! These were easy to make, and they work! Scrap those expensive dishwasher detergent tabs, and make your own!
- 3/4 cups washing soda (find it by the laundry stain & odor removers)
- 3/4 cups Borax (find it by the laundry stain & odor removers)
- 1/2 cup coarse kosher salt
- 1/4 cup citric acid (find it in the canning aisle)
- 1/4 cup white distilled vinegar
- 10-15 drops lemon essential oil
- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Slowly stir in vinegar.
- Add essential oils.
- Press into ice cube trays or molds. I found full-size cubes in an ice cube tray were much bigger than necessary (especially since we have a water softener), so filling halfway is perfect.
- Allow to dry at room temperature for at least 24 hours.
- Pop out of trays or molds and transfer to an airtight container to store. Store in a cool, dark place.
- Yield: approx. 32 half-ice cube tabs (two ice cube trays)
- Tabs don’t have to be placed in the detergent compartment. If your dishwasher has a special location for tabs, use that. Otherwise, you can just toss one on the bottom of the tub.
- For rinse agent, I use distilled white vinegar with lemon essential oil – 20 drops oil per quart of vinegar. Shake before filling compartment.
- These tabs are also multi-purpose!
- Drop one in your garbage disposal, run hot water, and let the disposal run for 30 seconds to a minute.
- Toss one on the bottom of your dishwasher tub, and run an empty hot cycle with sanitize (if your dishwasher has that option) to clean your dishwasher tub and lines.
- Have an extra-greasy load? Hard water? If you answered yes to either (or both!) of those things, add just a couple (no more than three) drops of regular dish soap to your dishwasher when you run a load.
- This recipe = 5 cents per load
- Finish tabs at Walmart = 17 cents per load
Don’t want to make it yourself? Buy it now!