I like body butter, but I don’t like how greasy it leaves my skin – especially if I use it on my hands. I tried several different things to create a non-greasy lotion, and I finally found one I like! The recipe doesn’t use any butters or coconut oil, so it doesn’t leave your skin greasy. I use an immersion blender, but you could also use a hand mixer for this recipe. The essential oils are optional, but they add a nice fragrance and can have other benefits depending on which oils you choose. One other awesome thing about this lotion…it makes a great facial moisturizer as well! It works for all skin types. I like to include melaleuca, as my skin is a bit prone to breakouts.
- 1/2 cup carrier oil of choice (Not sure which one to choose? Check out this post. I use grapeseed oil.)
- 1.5 tbsp beeswax
- 1 cup pure aloe vera gel
- 10 drops essential oil of choice (Not sure which ones to choose? Check out this post. I like orange, lavender, and melaleuca.)
- Melt beeswax and carrier oil together in microwave, approx 1.5 minutes.
- Pour melted beeswax and oil into a tall, cylindrical container (if using an immersion blender) or medium bowl (if using hand mixer).
- Begin blending, slowly adding aloe. Pause periodically to scrape the sides with a spatula.
- Add essential oils, and continue blending until you reach the desired consistency.
- Transfer to half-pint, wide-mouth jars for storage (yields two jars).
- Store in a cool, dark place. Unused jars can be stored in the refrigerator to extend life, up to eight weeks.
- This recipe = 36 cents per ounce
- Aveeno at Walmart = 50 cents per ounce