The downfall to making your own health & beauty and cleaning products is the whole process of trial and error. I have tried several shaving “cream” recipes, tweaked several, and finally came up with one I love! I should note: this is NOT a traditional shaving cream. If you’re looking for something you can smear on and “shave off,” this isn’t it. In fact, I’m not sure that exists in the homemade health & beauty products world. If you can get yourself past that expectation (and believe me, it’s easier said than done), you’ll love this stuff too. You’ll need a foaming pump bottle (feel free to re-purpose an old one so long as you clean it out good) for this recipe. Need to buy a new one? Check here.
- 1/4 cup pure aloe vera gel
- 1/4 cup liquid castile soap
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1/4 cup filtered water (at room temp.)
- 10-15 drops essential oil of choice (I like wild orange and/or lavender)
- Pour all ingredients into foaming pump bottle (I found a funnel to be helpful).
- Cap and shake.
- Shake before each use.
- Since this recipe uses no preservatives, I recommend making just one bottle at a time.
- Store in a cool, dark place when not in use.
- Be sure to shake before each use, as the ingredients will separate.
- This recipe: 38 cents per ounce
- Aveeno at Walmart: 57 cents per ounce