If you have cats, you know their litter boxes can get stinky in a hurry! And, if you’ve bought litter deodorizer at the pet store, you know how expensive it is. It’s EASY and inexpensive to make your own at home. You just need a pint glass jar, baking soda, and high-quality essential oils. The other awesome thing about this recipe is that it makes an excellent carpet deodorizer as well!
Please do NOT use low-quality oils with your cats. Cats are extremely sensitive to many things, and the oils you can pick up at the box or grocery store are absolutely NOT safe for them. If you’ve been reading my blog for a while, you know I only use and recommend doTERRA oils. Additionally, only certain oils should be used with cats, so please don’t use something different unless you know it’s safe for them.
- Baking soda, approx. 2 cups
- 10-30 drops essential oils*
*When making litter deodorizer, I use 5 drops lavender and 5 drops cedarwood. Although citrus oils are excellent for deodorizing, they are not recommended for use with cats. Pure lavender and cedarwood are safe for cats, and they are also great for deodorizing. When making carpet deodorizer specifically, I use 30 drops of essential oils, and I like to use doTERRA’s proprietary blend Purify. It includes a number of oils that work together to pack a powerhouse for cleaning. HOWEVER, some of the oils in Purify are not safe for cats or dogs, so I don’t recommend it if you have pets in the house. For pet owners, I recommend sticking with lavender and cedarwood even for the carpet deodorizer.
- Fill your pint jar approximately half full with baking soda.
- Add essential oils.
- Fill the jar the rest of the way with baking soda, leaving about a half-inch of head space.
- Cap and shake to combine.
- For litter deodorizing, simply sprinkle over the litter after cleaning the box once daily or every other day. When first using, I recommend gradually introducing it to your cats. Add it less often, and add it to just one box for a few days before using it with other boxes.
- For carpet deodorizing, sprinkle over affected area, allow to sit for a minimum of 8 hours undisturbed, and vacuum.