We’ve all been there: the first signs of an oncoming cold appear. Maybe for you it’s a scratchy throat or a runny nose or an annoying cough. Whatever that sign is, we all react in a similar way–UGH.
Several years ago, I was quick to reach for over-the-counter “remedies” when these symptoms hit. I just needed something to stop the runny nose; soothe the scratchy, sore throat; unplug the plugged nose; and curb the cough. For me, it was often Dayquil and Nyquil. Maybe it’s something else for you, but the idea is the same: just let me get through the day and night with some relief!
I realized, though, that there’s a problem with all of these drugstore products. They don’t actually fix the underlying problem. They simply mask the symptoms. So what does fix the problem? Our bodies. With time, our body will fight the common cold on its own. We can shorten that time by taking care of ourselves: getting good rest, drinking lots of fluids, and eating good foods. But what if we could do something else? What if we could help our bodies heal faster?
That question led me to essential oils over a year ago. If our bodies truly are capable of healing themselves, then maybe we can help our bodies do that. Certainly, we can do the things I mentioned above to take better care of ourselves, but we can also use all-natural essential oils to help.
Essential oils are able to penetrate cell walls. Why does that matter? It means they can get into the affected cells and fix them from the inside out. When the cells are healthier, they can heal our bodies faster. By choosing oils appropriate for fighting the common cold, then, we can help our bodies heal faster, and we can get relief from the symptoms. Double win!
I make this easy roller bottle blend for everyone in our house. Since I have young kids, I have different bottles with different dilutions. Young kids are more sensitive and will respond to treatment with fewer drops of essential oil than adults, so it’s important to mix your bottles with the right dilution:
- Infants one year and under: 2-4 drops essential oil
- Toddlers age 1 to 5: 4-8 drops essential oil
- Kids age 6 to 12: 8-14 drops essential oil
- Ages 13+: 14-20 drops essential oil
You’ll first need roller bottles to fill. To prolong effectiveness, it’s best to store essential oils in dark glass like amber or cobalt. I like these from Amazon. You can also use clear bottles like these if you store them in a cool, dark place and use them within a few months.
As for the essential oils, be sure to use only certified pure therapeutic grade oils. I only use and recommend doTERRA oils (if you need oils, click that link!). You’ll also need a carrier oil to fill your bottle and to aid in the application of the oils. I like fractionated coconut oil, but sweet almond oil and other light oils are also good options.
- Essential oils
- Infants one year and under: 1-2 drops lemon, 1-2 drops lavender
- Toddlers age 1 to 5: 1-2 drops Breathe (doTERRA proprietary blend), 2-4 drops lavender, 2 drops lemon
- Kids age 6 to 12: 2-4 drops Breathe, 3-6 drops lavender, 3-4 drops lemon
- Ages 13+: 6-9 drops Breathe, 4-6 drops lavender, 4-6 drops lemon
- Fractionated coconut oil (or other carrier oil of choice)
- Add essential oils to roller bottle.
- Fill with carrier oil.
- Cap and shake gently.
- For infants and toddlers, apply to feet bottoms every 3-6 hours as needed. It works best if you put socks on after application.
- For older kids and adults, apply to feet bottoms and/or spine every 3-6 hours as needed. When applying to the spine, I like to apply it in small circles, making my way up or down the spine.